Tuesday, May 28, 2013

And now we breathe (Jim)

I cannot say that the last couple of weeks of getting ready for this trip have been easy.  Despite months of preparation, the end came in a flurry of activity, including a crack of dawn closing day cleaning and moving frenzy that may or may not have required that I hide a sword and an owl-shaped salt dispenser somewhere in the house before the walk through (sorry, next owners, I forgot to put 'hidden sword' in the disclosure.  It is out of toddler reach anyway). 

And then there was the 'organization' attempt in storing the possessions we decided to keep in my parents' basement, right beside the coal pile and some electronics from the 70's.  When viewed in one big pile for the first time, it was a truly shocking amount of stuff for a couple that are kind of assholes about being proud about not having a lot of stuff.  (More thoughts on the Tyranny of Stuff to follow in a future condescending blog post, but I'm staying non-existential at the moment.  You are welcome.)

 But at the end of the day, the long weekend included a successful integration of our cat into my parent's household, some quality time with my patient and fully supportive family (right guys?), and catching up with numerous long lost friends and some old school rowdiness that may or may not have ended poorly for a boat.

Can you identify the boat in this picture?
And now, we reap the benefits of half assed planning.  Due to the incredible generosity of an acquaintance of Lindsay's, we will not be spending the first two plus weeks of this trip roughing it in a camper.  Instead, we will be enjoying a gorgeous vacation home in the middle of the White Mounains.  We cannot thank this individual enough.  It occurs to me as I sit here looking out at a beautiful vista with a hot cup of coffee that although the Whites are among my favorite part of the planet, between the travel time and the gas money and the burdens of life, I have only ever made it up here an average of two or three days a year for the past fifteen years.  In the next two weeks, I can do more than I have in the last decade - this is a true gift.  Oh, and it is a plus to not have to incorporate four hours round trip of driving for a day of hiking.

And I don't have to camp in a Wal-Mart parking lot to do it.

So here we go. 

*exhale*

I guess that's a bit scenic


No comments:

Post a Comment